Saturday, March 31, 2007

Flea Markets, and Growing Up

Zach and I had a bit of a late start this morning... we lounged around in bed for a while (look right to see part of the reason why we had trouble getting up-- who wants to disturb a comfy cat??? hehe), then had a lazy breakfast of big bowls of fruit and some fresh bread and butter. I had wanted for us to spend the day in Geneva today, as we haven't gotten much of a chance to explore the city together since our preview visit back in January. We finally made it out to door and caught the bus at around 1 or 2pm. We went to the flea market at Plainpalais-- it's on every Wednesday and Saturday, I've been meaning to check it out for a few weeks but haven't gotten the chance to. I'm glad we went, there's SO MUCH STUFF there, it was fun just to look around and see all of it. They also have a small circus/fair going on, so you'd hear the faint screaming of people on different rides every so often.

My one purchase was this adorable little wooden cat, I think the tail serves as a ring holder. He was 5chf, less than $5, and he was just too adorable to pass up. He's hanging out near the kitchen sink right now.

After the market we walked down the street a ways in search of this second hand bookstore/cafe combo. Unfortunately by the time we got there they weren't serving food anymore, so we just got a bottle of sparkling water and a coffee, and Zach got this thing that he thought was some sort of pastry... and instead turned out to be stuffed with some weird gelatin and pate. It was really strange. I can just imagine the shock Zach felt as he took a bite of what he assumed was sweet and instead was not. It was kinda neat to browse through the books-- they didn't have a huge selection, but they did have Spanish and English sections. I found a Spanish version of the 5th Harry Potter book, I almost bought it for Cristina. ; )

We (barely) caught the bus back home and now Zach's working on a scrumptious dinner for us. =) Last night we had the chance to go out with some of the people from my French class, there was a salsa thing that one of the girls' husband was doing, and we were gonna go... unfortunately it didn't even start till 10pm. I hate to admit it, but as soon as she told me the time I knew we wouldn't make it. Unfortunately living a bit out of the city means that it does take some extra effort to make it in for nights out, and to be honest we're just not that into late nights anymore. I guess it's part of growing up, getting on a "work/adult" schedule (going to bed early, getting up early), and aren't quite as keen on staying up real late and spending the day sleeping in. These days it's unusual for us to stay out past midnight. And honestly, I'm ok with that. We've had our times of wild nights out with friends (and hung-over mornings after) and now we're content with going to bed early, then getting woken up at 8am by the sun and getting up and getting the day started (or just snuggling in bed with the cat and talking). I still am up for nights out when I go home to Austin and go out with my sisters and old friends, but it's just not a part of regular life anymore.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...