Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Just a couple more days...

I can't believe our trip to Chile is almost here... Last time I visited was with Daddy and Jen, 10 years ago. I'm a completely different person now... and so are all my relatives living there, too, I imagine. It's funny how involved I like to be with my (American) family, yet I've hardly kept any contact with my Chilean family. It seems amazing to me now, that these people I spent the first 11 years of my life around, seeing them every Sunday at Abuelita's house, are nearly strangers to me. It's not out of any sort of malice or falling out or anything like that... I was just a kid when we left, and didn't really have the means or maturity to think of writing a lot of letters of calling or anything. Perhaps this can be a chance to reconnect with them. Email makes it so much easier to keep in touch across the world these days.

It's just hitting me now all the things I need to get done in the next 2 days-- I want to clean the house (at least give these unforgiving floors a good sweeping before they accumulate another 3 weeks' worth of cat hair and dust-- I swear we could start a dust bunny farm in here), and I'm just now thinking about things like Mother's Day, during which we'll be in Chile. Do I buy gifts online for my mom and mom-in-law for ease of shipping? Do I send them something Swiss? (though really the only things worth sending from here are chocolates and kitschy souvenirs, and I'm afraid of how chocolates might do in the mail... then again Carolyn sent a bunch and they were fine... hmmmm) Or find things in Chile and send them from there? Who knows. I guess I'll figure it out soon enough. I'm also realizing I should get my dad some fun Swiss thing to give him. I already bought him some chocolate-covered cherries (I hope he still likes those) and am thinking of finding him some gaudy Swiss souvenir, like a Swiss cow magnet, with Swiss flag and everything. I think he gets a kick out of silly stuff like that sometimes. =P

Wow, it's Tuesday already... I'm gonna go to class tomorrow, my last time before the trip. I'm sure I'll have lots of last-minute stuff to take care of Thursday. I'll have to get some of the homework from the teacher tomorrow, so I can be sort of not entirely lost when I come back in mid-May. Not sure I'll actually look at any of it while we're gone.. but gotta at least try, right? I'm looking forward to being immersed in Spanish. I'm not as comfortable with it as I am in English, certainly, but my Spanish is a heck of a lot better than my French.

We've been here 2 months already. Gosh, and when we get back the slew of visitors begins! I think Brubaker may be swinging by in late May sometime... then my parents in June, and on it goes till August. I'm sure it will be tiring to have so many guests, but I'm also thrilled to get to see everyone, and to show off and share this fabulous city and life that we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...