Sunday, April 22, 2007

a leisurely walk?

Zach's been itchin' to go to the mountains the past couple weekends, so today we made plans to go on a good hike. We headed over towards the Jura mountains, not realizing that it meant crossing the French border... (we left our passports at home, and I didn't even have any ID on me). Luckily there were no guards at the border crossing on the way in, and on the way back they were just waving people through.

It took about 45 mins to drive to our designated spot. The roads were gorgeous, all these pretty trees everywhere. Once we parked it took us a while to find the trail... I'm actually still not sure we ever really found the right one, as we wound up climbing straight up the side of a big hill, on what seemed to be an access road for the ski lodge (we were hiking in a ski resort). But, there were several other hikers following the same route so maybe that's the right path? So we hiked up an exposed face that was a good 20 degree grade, for I don't know how far... but it seemed like a long ways. Zach dared to make a comment about me being "out of shape" as I took a few short breaks along the way. I know I'm not in the best shape, but that walk was friggin HARD. Anyway, we made it to the top of "Petit Montrond" and the views were pretty damn nice-- could see Lake Geneva/Lemand, Mont Blanc, and even the Jet d'Eau back in Geneva. We had a snack and rested a bit, enjoying the view. We attempted to go find the "Grand Montrond" but I was too wiped out so we turned back. It's nice to know it's there, though, it'll be fun to go back to that area in another few weeks and see what it looks like (it was probably mostly covered in snow up until a week or 2 ago, so the grass wasn't all grown in and the vegetation was less than impressive).

That was most of our activity for the day. I need to start getting ready for bed now (darn you, infernal comuter, sucking up all my time!) and Zach is sitting next to me finishing his French homework before he heads off to bed as well.

We leave for Chile on THURSDAY! It's really snuck up on me. All of a sudden I'm realizing all these things I gotta take care of this week before we go... like cleaning the house, packing, figuring out how to put a hold on our mail... It might be a busy week.

1 comment:

  1. Talk about being out of shape, I'm in the worst shape of my life. Now that I have oodles of time on my hands, I think I'll work on that this summer. I'll have to do something before I come to visit in preparation for Zach's hiking. I'm still determined to get to Switzerland somehow

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...