Wednesday, July 25, 2007

a friend in need...

First things first-- I just got an email tonight from a friend who has signed up for a half marathon with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, in support of a family friend who has leukemia and is in need of a bone marrow transplant. Please go to her fundraising webpage to learn more, and to give a donation.
~ * ~ * ~

The other day after having lunch with my friends, we stopped by the English Library here in Geneva so I could sign up for a membership for Zach and myself. Cathy spotted The Life of Pi and insisted I check it out, as she said it was one of her favorite books. I've heard of it before, and it's caught my eye from time to time, but I've never actually read it. Well, I started it today. It's been pretty interesting, though at times the first part of the book can seem a little preachy-- like the author is using the novel as an excuse to tell people his beliefs about different things. But I also get the sense that a lot of it is to give you a sense for the main character, in preparation for his voyage in the sea (part 2 of the book). So far, I am enjoying it, and am curious to see how the story will unfold. It's also nice to read some new fiction. I really miss having the public library nearby, we used it so much in California. I'm hoping this local library, while quite a bit smaller, will help take its place.

This week is going by a bit quick-- tomorrow we have to take care of some different things here at home and also pack, b/c Friday morning we're leaving to go see Sean for the weekend in Italy. He's a friend of ours from CA who's spending the summer near the Cinque Terre (often called the Italian riviera) for an internship. He said it's ungodly hot there right now, but it should also be gorgeous, and I'll get to pull out my swimsuit for the first time all summer which I'm quite excited about. =P Andrew and Jakki will take a train in from Venice or Florence or wherever they happen to be at the moment, and meet up with us Friday evening. Then we'll all drive back on Sunday together. This could be quite the adventure-- I've heard the Italian highways are questionable in quality. I guess we'll see.... I wonder if they're worse than Louisiana roads? ; )

2 comments:

  1. Life Of Pi is also one of my favorite books. I will be curious what you think. I almost put it down a few times in the beginning of the book. Glad I didn't! I think the first half and the second half are like two different books. But my husband disagreed (also one of his fav books). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to read that book, too! i made it to the public library for the first time in months and got my oakland card. (no kidding, libraries are GREAT. i see how you miss them.) stood around forever searching for a book to read. too bad i got to your blog after the fact...i would have grabbed the life of pi. next time!

    cannot wait to see you next week, m!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...