Monday, April 07, 2008

C'mon, you know you wanna

Hey all, my sister will be participating in a Team in Training triathlon again this year. Why? Read her text below. Then, go donate so she can reach her $4,500 fundraising goal: www.active.com/donate/tntntx/Criss4shay

I am training to participate in an Olympic-distance triathlon as a member of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training. Although their mission is to find a cure for blood cancers, the research funded by the LLS has lead to some of the most significant breakthroughs in cancer treatments, such as bone marrow transplants and chemotherapy, as well as drugs such as Geelvec (an oral treatment that targets cancer cells - saves you having to sit in The Chair for a couple of hours).

This will be my second triathlon with Team in Training (in case I haven't mentioned this yet, I'll be swimming 1500 meters, then biking 40 km [26 miles], then running another 10 km [6.2 miles]. Last time I finished in 3 hours and 43 minutes, mind you). The first time I did this, I was mostly doing it because I wanted to get in shape, and I wanted the bragging rights of having done something nice for other people. This time (while I'm still doing it for the bragging rights), what got my butt into gear about signing up again was seeing my mother-in-law go through chemo. When my brother fought (and beat) cancer, I wasn't around enough to see it up close and personal as I have in the past few months.

When I did this the first time, I also hadn't seen cancer win, taking with it a great man, doctor, husband, father, granddad, and my chance to get to know my father-in-law. I don't want cancer to do that again.

I'm doing this for JC, for my grandpa, for Mary-Charles, for Lee; for the close calls like Philip and my mom; for anyone who has had to sit and watch a friend or family member go through this ordeal.

Failure is not an option. Please make a donation to the cause today.

Thanks for your support!

1 comment:

  1. I somehow found your blog, which is really informative. I love how you're devoted to being a mom and was also moved by your desire to support the cancer fight.
    It made me think, you may be interested in a safe product line I found. Moms are loving, because it is non-toxic and healthy for our kids.
    Feel free to check it out at mytrivani.com/laurie
    Thanks!!!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...