Tuesday, October 12, 2010

and now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

The irony of this weekend, is that Zach and I had planned a mini-"babymoon" for ourselves.  My sister was going to come in from SF to watch D, while Zach and I spent a night at a Bed & Breakfast about an hour away.  Instead, bad news came in, and as an odd twist I got 3 full days "off."

As luck would have it, D got sick while in Texas.  Thankfully it was short-lived, but he got some stomach bug on Sunday that kept him low in energy and wrecked his sleep for the rest of the trip.  It's a strange feeling, being so used to being with your kid every day and then having him get sick when away from  you.  Zach called me often to give me reports, and I took comfort in knowing that he certainly had plenty of helping hands to nurse him back to health.

This was D's longest trip away from me.  I think there's been 2 or maybe even 3 times that we've left him with my parents for 1 or 2 nights at a time...  but this was four full nights.  I missed him dearly.  This has also been my longest break in the 2 years and 8 months since his birth, and soon I'll be a mother of 2 and will have an infant attached to my boob for the next full year (or longer).  And so, I felt little guilt yesterday as I treated myself out to a yummy breakfast at one of my new favorite spots nearby, then spent much of the rest of the day sprawled on the couch watching Julie & Julia (adorable!) and most of season 6 of Sex and the City (will I ever tire of that show?).

And now in a few minutes I'll leave to pick up Zach and Donovan at the airport, and everything will go back to life as usual-- the diapers and frequent snackings, the delicate maneuvering of words to avoid and diffuse tantrums, the toys, the questions for "just one episode" while I try to muster energy to take us to the park instead...  and also the funny faces, the mischievous smiles, the ongoing monologues telling me all about that Bob the Builder episode he saw 3 days ago, and going on an A320 airplane.  The waiting for the sound of the door handle at the end of the day when Zach gets home from work, and then snuggling in bed with him for a few minutes before we fall asleep at night.

It's good to get a break.... and it will be good to get back to life as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...