Saturday, January 01, 2011

dancing feet

Last night Zach and I went swing dancing.  There's a weekly swing night nearby and he's gone by himself many times in the past few months (I'd join in, but ya know big preggo bellies are not terribly conducive to dancing...).  But, since it's our last weekend with Mom here to watch the kids, and it being New Years Eve and all, I figured I'd go ahead and join Zach and check out the place.  Lately Q's been going closer to 2hrs between feedings, so I nursed him right before leaving and then we only stayed out about an hour or so to make sure I was back in time.  But, short an outing as it was, it was pretty fun, and may need to become a semi-regular date night.

Zach and I used to go out dancing all the time back in college, though mostly we got into salsa and country-western.  We liked swing, but never got around to going as often for whatever reason.  Last night I was instantly transported back to the few times we did make it out to the Women's Fed at UT, and reminded of how much I enjoy the "swing scene."  The atmosphere is just so fun and casual and light, and many of the people there get all dressed up for the occasion-- men in fedoras, vests, and wingtip shoes (or, if not, usually a pair of chucks); the women in vintage-style dresses and character shoes.  The people-watching alone is priceless, especially some of the more talented dancers.  And even though it's been, literally, YEARS since I last danced the swing, it came back pretty easily-- dancing seems to be kinda like riding a bike.  I don't know how often we'll be able to go together, but I'm hoping we can make it a semi-regular date night (I'm thinking once every month or 2...).

We were back home by about 10pm, and in bed by 11 or so.  That was our NYE.  2010 was a pretty good year for us-- LOTS of pretty massive changes, but good ones overall.  I'm looking forward to another great (though hopefully more settled) year ahead. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...