Monday, January 10, 2011

New Montessori Post-- Why Everyone Should Learn Math the Montessori Way

I managed to put together a new post for the MariaMontessori website.  It's one I've been wanting to write for a long time, as I feel pretty strongly about this issue-- I honestly believe math would not be the "four letter word" it is today, if most children learned using the Montessori materials as opposed to just memorizing steps to write out on paper.
In school, I was OK in math and even (somewhat) enjoyed it; yet, I didn’t have any interest in taking anything more than the required classes in high school and when I did complicated operations I HAD to write out every single step or else I would get confused.  There were many things I really didn’t understand about math – I just memorized the steps one is taught to go through to solve the problem.  I would often have a hard time wrapping my mind around what I was supposed to do or why this or that happened because I didn’t fully understand the WHY behind it.
Go here to read the full post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...