Saturday, July 28, 2012

Oh the humidity!

You guys, the humidity here is no joke. I know it shouldn't be that much of a shock since I spent 3 weeks in Austin before coming here, but I spent most of my time there inside the nice, cool air conditioning so it wasn't as big a deal.  It's not nearly as hot here-- the highs during the day have been mostly in the low- to mid-80s, though it did get up to a toasty 97 degrees on the day we unloaded the moving truck. Great timing, huh?  And most evenings it cools down to be in the 50s and 60s so even without a/c it's been manageable (with heavy fan use).

But the humidity is shocking at times.  Like when you take a shower in the morning and FOUR HOURS LATER the shower curtain is still wet.  Or when you get into bed at night and your sheets actually feel slightly damp. There have only been a couple days so far when it's been that noticeable. But, still.

On the plus side, in California the air was so dry that, especially with kids and the constant handwashing that goes with them, my hands were so dry that the skin on my knuckles was always cracked. I tried putting on lotion and even dousing them in Aquaphor and wearing socks all night, etc, but they'd inevitably end up cracked and dry again.  My hands looked awful.  Here? They actually look normal.  I guess a little humidity ain't so bad after all.

2 comments:

  1. I never used face moisturizer until after we moved back from Hawaii, and when I visit I love not having to drown my skin in any kind of moisturizer! It's always a shock coming back, especially in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:41 PM

    Get a dehumidifier. Not terrible expensive and works wonders! Gretchen (whose Google account refuses to acknowledge her at the moment)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...