Tuesday, September 18, 2012

birthday cake for breakfast

Untitled

My birthday was this past Thursday.  If you can manage to read Zach's cryptic candle numbering above, you will see that yes I turned 32 years old this year.  He went out and bought me a cake the night before, and because once he left for school Thursday morning he wouldn't be back home till after the kids were in bed we opted to sing and have cake for breakfast so we could do it all together.  Zach pointed out (I had forgotten) that Tuck took him away from me for my birthday last year, too-- I think he left on the 13th to fly here for his on-campus interview last year.  I told him he can make it up to me by buying me a fancy camera upgrade when he graduates and we have a (non-loan) family income again (a girl can dream, right?).

So my birthday day itself was pretty low-key. We'd planned to go to a Dartmouth graduate school semi-formal with a couple friends on Saturday night, but then Friday landed us in the hospital with Donovan thanks a cold that spiraled into him having trouble breathing (pretty much the same thing that happened just over 2 years ago). We didn't have to stay overnight this time (thank god) but between that stress, a kid who was still on nebulizer treatments every 4 hours, plus Quinn catching D's cold and Zach and I showing the beginning signs of following that same path, we decided to cancel our plans. So instead our friends came over for a drink and some cake on their way out to the party, and that was a pretty lovely time in itself.

We spent the rest of the weekend just recovering and trying to rest up. Now Zach has another busy week ahead, as recruiting for summer internships has begun and there are about a gazillion info sessions being put on by all sorts of fancy big-name companies visiting campus the next week or two. Which is neat and exciting for him, though means we're seeing very little of him.  Ah, the life of an MBA family...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...