Tuesday, October 16, 2012

on earthquakes and a new montessori post

We just had an earthquake tonight. Yes, here in New Hampshire...well, technically in Maine but we felt it over here. Ironically, I think it's the strongest earthquake I've really felt, more so than any we had in California (Ok, I have some very faint memories of a couple strong earthquakes in Chile as a kid).  The boys were up, in the next room over when it happened, and I heard Donovan yell out, "WHAT was THAT?!" He didn't sound scared, but definitely surprised.

Then he said this: "Maybe someone got so so man that they stomped their feet in Spain, and that's what caused the earthquake."  Hah. Good theory, kiddo.  So then we had a short chat about tectonic plates and fault lines and what causes earthquakes, so that was a cool teachable moment. He did seem a little concerned about making sure our house didn't fall down...

In other news, I have a new post up at the Montessori website: A Morning Observing in a Montessori Classroom.  As the title implies, it's a description of observing one morning in D's old classroom in Sacramento.  I was able to do so a handful of times last year, and felt wowed each time-- there is something so cool and amazing and almost magical about walking into a classroom of 3-6 year olds who are all busy and working, doing their own thing, totally engaged.  I'm giving D a few more weeks to settle into his new school and then I hope to observe there soon, too.  Even if your kids aren't in a Montessori school, if you have one nearby I definitely encourage you to ask about a chance to observe in the classroom.  It can be quite an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...